Antimicrobial Copper is the only solid metal touch surface registered by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to continuously kill bacteria* that pose a threat to human health. No other touch surface, including silver-containing coatings, has this kind of registration.
Antimicrobial Copper is the most effective touch surface and is the only solid metal with a US EPA public health registration. This type of registration means that Antimicrobial Copper kills specific bacteria* that cause infections and pose a threat to human health.
Silver-containing coatings do not have public health registration.
Instead, these coatings are marketed under the so-called 'treated article exemption' which means the antimicrobial agent may only protect the product itself from non-specific bacteria that cause odour and degradation. Such products are not proven to offer people any protection against disease-causing bacteria.
In contrast, products made from Antimicrobial Copper can be marketed in the US with the following public health claims:
Laboratory testing has shown that when cleaned regularly:
- This surface continuously reduces bacterial* contamination, achieving 99.9% reduction within two hours of exposure.
- This surface kills greater than 99.9% of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria* within two hours of exposure.
- This surface delivers continuous and ongoing antibacterial* action, remaining effective in killing greater than 99.9% of bacteria* within two hours.
- This surface kills greater than 99.9% of bacteria* within two hours, and continues to kill more than 99% of bacteria* even after repeated contamination.
- This surface helps inhibit the buildup and growth of bacteria* within two hours of exposure between routine cleaning and sanitising steps.
*Laboratory testing shows that, when cleaned regularly, antimicrobial copper surfaces kill greater than 99.9% of the following bacteria within 2 hours of exposure: MRSA, VRE, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterobacter aerogenes, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and E. coli O157:H7. Antimicrobial copper surfaces are a supplement to and not a substitute for standard infection control practices and have been shown to reduce microbial contamination, but do not necessarily prevent cross contamination or infections; users must continue to follow all current infection control practices.